Monday, June 23, 2008

I am Rob


I am Rob. My career has only been possible through the dedication of my high school teacher Mr. (Mark) Murray, who taught photography at Lamar High School until 1996, college professor Kevin Moloney, who is still shaping the young minds of students at the University of Colorado at Boulder, my wife Amelia, who has been inspiring my vision since we met at CU-Boulder in 1999, and my parents, who raised me to never settle for mediocrity, and always give 110% in everything I do.


I have been a photojournalist since the age of 15, when my mother took me to assignments for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, then waited outside while I processed. I continued this until leaving for Colorado in 1995. After getting in-state residency, I began attending the University of Colorado at Boulder in the fall of 1996. In college, I rowed for four years and ended as a varsity oarsman in the Colorado Crew lightweight eight. I began freelancing for the Rocky Mountain News in 1999, which developed my portfolio enough to get internships that started in 2000. I learned from the best at the Albuquerque Journal, Indianapolis Star, Kalamazoo Gazette, Naperville Sun and Boulder Daily Camera before returning to finish at CU-Boulder in December 2001 with a 3.2 GPA in Journalism. In March of 2002, I began my professional career began at the Courier News, in Elgin, Ill., where I worked for one year.


Currently, I am a staff photographer at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, where I have worked for more than five years. I also freelance for the New York Times, and donate my time, whenever possible, to benefit non-profit organizations that seek cures for cancer and autism. My goal in photography and journalism is to bring about a greater understanding of the world around us.

3 comments:

Erik Markov said...

Rob,

Hey, and here I thought I was the last photog on the face of the earth to start a blog 2 weeks ago. Mind if I add a link to yours on my page?

emarkov.blogspot.com

Nina said...

I think I started my blog only 2 days before Rob's. At least it was in the planning stages for a much longer time. Hope to see some work soon, rob.

www.ninagreipel.wordpress.com

I am Matthew Nager said...

Glad to see ya hear Rob! I'll watch for new posts for sure.